Mailchimp Tutorial for Beginning Small Biz Owners
This Mailchimp tutorial for beginners will get you started with your email marketing efforts.
My Facebook live session of this Mailchimp tutorial covered all the basics for beginners. In this Mailchimp video, I walk you through how to:
- Register for an account
- Set up your email list
- Create a landing page
- Create an automated welcome email
- Create your first email blast
Feel free to follow along with this Mailchimp tutorial on your computer or just watch and soak it all in the first time. You can always play it again and walk through each step.
Busy? Pin this to your Pinterest board for later.
Use the links below to get what you need for this tutorial. Please note that the link to sign up with Mailchimp is my referral link. If you sign up with Mailchimp using my referral link, we will both receive $30 in Mailchimp credits.
Following are the instructions to do each step I cover in this video Mailchimp tutorial for beginners. You can also download it as a .PDF guide.
Mailchimp Tutorial for Beginners
Set Up Your Account
When you sign up for a Mailchimp account, you’ll enter your name and email address, and they’ll send you an activation email. When you receive the activation email, click the link to activate your account.
The next time you log in to their website, they’ll walk you through the rest of the setup steps. You’ll input profile details, such as your website and physical address, and connect your social media accounts. If you sell products online, you’ll have the option to connect your store to Mailchimp.
Set Up Your Audience
When you create a Mailchimp account, they’ll use your setup details to automatically generate your audience for you. You can edit the default information for your audience if you need to, or immediately start adding contacts.
Customize Your Signup Form
To customize your signup form, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Audience tab.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Signup forms.
- Select Form builder.
- Click the Forms and response emails drop-down menu, and choose which form you want to edit.
- drop down menu with cursor on signup form option
- Click the Design it tab.
- Click through the Page, Body, Forms, or MonkeyRewards tabs to review the customization options. Use the fields and drop-down menus to make any changes you want to the styles, colors, and fields. they’ll save your changes automatically.
- When you’re done, click Save & Close.
Create an Automated Welcome Email
When someone signs up for your email marketing, it’s an opportunity to make a great first impression. Send them a welcome email to introduce yourself, say thank you, or offer a special promotion. In Mailchimp, you can use an automation to make sure each new subscriber receives a welcome email.
To create an automated welcome email, follow these steps.
- Launch the automation builder.
- On the Welcome message tab, enter a campaign name and click the drop-down menu to choose an audience. they’ll send your welcome message to anyone who subscribes to email marketing from this audience.
- Click Begin.
- Review your automation. We pre-fill the email with default content, so you can start your welcome automation right away.
- If everything looks good, click Start Sending.
If you want to edit the draft, follow these steps.
- To edit campaign information, click the Edit button in the field you want to edit.
- Click Edit Delay to change the delivery delay after signup. The default delay is immediately. Other delay options are 1 hour, 6 hours, or 1 day. Click the dropdown menu to set the delay time.
- Click Edit From to edit the name and email address your contacts will see.
- Click Edit Subject to edit the subject line and preview text.
- When you finish editing a section, click Save before moving to the next section.
- In the Content section, click Preview to see what your email will look like to your contacts.
- Click X to exit preview mode and return to the checklist.
- If you want to edit the design or message, click Edit Design.
- On the Design step, design your email. When you’re done, click Save and Continue to return to the checklist.
- Click Start Sending.
- In the pop-up confirmation box, click Start Now.
Create a Landing Page
First, you’ll choose the type of landing page you want to create, then you’ll design your content and configure the page settings.
To create your page, follow these steps.
- Click to start your landing page.
- Type a name for your landing page. This name is for your reference, and isn’t visible to landing page visitors.
- Use the drop-down menu to select an audience. Contacts who sign-up on your landing page will be added to this audience.
- Click Begin.
- Click to select a template. You can learn more about landing page template options in their article About Landing Pages.
- Drag content blocks into your layout and customize the content for your landing page. If you need some inspiration, check out their design tips. Landing page templates include a logo placeholder, which is designed to automatically pull in your default brand logo. To learn more about this placeholder and how to use it, read Set a Default Logo.
- Click Preview in the upper-right corner to see what your page will look like.
- After you’ve designed your content, click Save & Close.
- Save and continue button in the Landing Page Builder.
- Publish a Landing Page
When you’re ready, click the Publish button to publish your landing page.
- After you publish, your page will be live on the web but not indexed so no one will see it until you share the link. they’ll compile report data as people visit your page and sign up for your marketing or make purchases.
Create a Campaign
To create a regular email campaign, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click Create Campaign.
- Click Email.
- On the Regular tab, enter a campaign name and click Begin.
- This will take you to the Campaign Builder, where you’ll choose your settings and design your content.
- Setup and Design
Their Campaign Builder is designed to let you work on the different parts of your campaign in the order you choose, and review everything at once before you send.
There are four main things to do before you can send.
- Add your recipients in the To section.
- Add your “from name” and “from email address” in the From section.
- Add your subject line in the Subject section.
- Design your email in the Content section.
As each task is completed, a green checkmark will appear next to the corresponding section. You may also want to review your tracking options and other settings.
To choose your recipients, follow these steps.
- In the To section, click Add Recipients.
- click add recipients
- In the Audience drop-down menu, choose the audience you want to send to.
- In the Segment drop-down menu, choose All subscribers in audience, Group or new segment, or one of the available saved or pre-built options.
- Choose a segment.
Optional: Check the Personalize the “To” field box to display the recipient’s name instead of their email address. This is more personal and may help you avoid spam filters.
After you check the box, you’ll choose a merge tag that corresponds with the data you want to display in the “To” field. For example, if you choose *|FNAME|*, a recipient named Bob will see “To: Bob” instead of “To: firstname.lastname@example.org.” The default options are *|FNAME|*, *|LNAME|*, and *|FNAME|* *|LNAME|*, but you can click Custom to enter an alternate tag or text.
- Click Save.
Add From Name and From Email Address
To set your from name and from email address, follow these steps.
- In the From section of the Campaign Builder, click Add From.
- click add from
- Enter your from name and email address.
- You may be asked to verify the domain in your email address.
- Click Save.
- Add Subject
To set your subject line and optional preview text, follow these steps.
- In the Subject section of the Campaign Builder, click Add Subject.
- In the Subject field, enter a subject line for your email.
- In the Preview text field, you can enter up to 150 characters that will display next to your subject line in recipients’ inboxes. This field is optional.
- Click Save.
To design the content for your campaign, follow these steps.
- In the Content section of the Campaign Builder, click Design Email.
- Choose a template to start with.
- You’ll see five categories of templates: Layouts, Themes, Saved, Campaigns, and Code your own.
- In the Email Designer, input and customize your campaign content.
- Click the Preview and Test drop-down menu to access powerful testing tools before you send your email.
- After you complete your design, click Save and Continue.
That’s all she wrote! Did you like the Mailchimp video? If you have any questions about this Mailchimp tutorial, please feel free to email me at email@example.com. I’m happy to help. And I hope you’ll join me live on Facebook, every Thursday at 12 p.m. ET.